MessageManager 1.1.2

Discussions, Solutions & How To with MessageManager
Adam
Site Admin

MessageManager 1.1.2

Postby Adam » 05 Sep 2011, 16:43

I have a point upgrade about to release.

Changes and updates include:

- New "Constant" display type: for updating single displays like score, speed, distance, etc..

- Improved Speed overall.
- Improved ScrollList support: This solves issues created by large volumes of text in a scroll list.
- Improved Coroutine handling and cleaner handing of "Clear Messages".
- Improved Pool mamagement for messages at a point.
- Improved DropShadow support, including DropShadow support for Messages at a point.
- Improved Messages at a Point allowing the display to show in the game world or on the screen plane.
- Updated UI, including popup lists for display type and a custom inspector.

Two important things:

1: Now is the time to put in any requests for additions, updates or changes.
2: This will be accompanied by a price increase when released.

- For current licensees, this point upgrade, will be free,
- The price will increase for new purchases on both the Asset Store and our eStore.

Adam
Site Admin

Re: MessageManager 1.1.2

Postby Adam » 03 Oct 2011, 13:10

Enzign:

Thanks! Glad you like it.

I have 1.1.2 poised and ready to go, but if there is something simple, it might still get in.

TBH, I'm unclear what it is that you want to do.

Can you give me a concrete example?

If 1.1.1 you can put any number of messages at a point by passing a Vector3 with Message (displayID, message, Vector3, optionalColor). To do this, you will need to set your display as "pooling" (in 1.1.1) or "at point" (in 1.1.2).

You can see this on the MessageManager page [i](http://theantranch.com/MessageManager.html)
when the balls hit anything. This spawns a message at the contact point (Vector3) and displays the magnitude of the collision as the message:

Code: Select all

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision) {
    ContactPoint contact = collision.contacts[0];
    Vector3 pos = contact.point;
    float vel = collision.relativeVelocity.magnitude;
    MessageManager.Instance().Message("HitPoint", "HIT!\n" + Mathf.RoundToInt(vel).ToString(), pos, GetRandomColor ());
}

As you can see, this takes the first contact, and finds the contact point and assigns it to a Vector3, then it finds the magnitude of the collision, lastly it passes this to MessageManager with the display "HitPoint", the message "HIT!\n" + Mathf.RoundToInt(vel).ToString(), the location pos, and a random color with GetRandomColor ().

Is this what you need? Or do you need something different?

In 1.1.2 you should also be able to translate this into screen space as well as world space.

Return to “MessageManager (for EZGui)”