Inspired :)

General Discussions and Off Topic Conversation (Say HI!)
OboShape

Inspired :)

Postby OboShape » 05 Sep 2014, 22:42

well Adam its all your fault!

I read your post giving yourself a 50 hour challenge..

and thought, well, i'd be best to give myself a project and see it through to completion and see how long it takes me.

so i ran through alot of old Spectrum games that i liked, and came up with manic miner..

so what ive done, ive started it a few days ago, im writing a blog as i go, initial design thoughts document, pitfalls/reworkings/things to learn/resources and any other general info..

so this will be from a point of a newbie as far as unity and c# goes.
once i get it done ill give you a copy along with the blog notes, and if it shows any new starts like myself what to expect and how and where i went wrong with things it might be an interesting read to see how i start with great expectations and then change and update things as i go..

ill shout again, once i get to a benchmark :)

DaZ
Powered by Nescafe
Non illigitamus carborundum

Adam
Site Admin

Re: Inspired :)

Postby Adam » 14 Sep 2014, 10:16

I think that's fantastic!

I would like to set myself a challenge like that, but to get 50 hours might take me 10-20 weeks at this point! :shock:

The other thing to look into is Game Jams, including Ludum Dare (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/)

As I write this, Ludum Dare is just finishing up the judging on their last round... they do 3 competitions a year, but do monthly mini-competitions as well.

It's always fun to see what you can do in a limited amount of time.

Ski Safari (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ski-saf ... 92422?mt=8) was created for the Unity Flash in a Flash competition, which made "runner up", as you can see here: (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... Winner.php)

Let me know how it goes. I'm always interested in what people can do.

OboShape

Postby OboShape » 15 Sep 2014, 21:14

yeah will do,

cool ill get a read through them, im waay far away from doing any compos etc..

as a learning tool / goal its a huuge learning curve for me, so its going to be interesting.
Powered by Nescafe
Non illigitamus carborundum

Adam
Site Admin

Postby Adam » 17 Sep 2014, 14:39

Heh! When it comes to Game Jams and Compo's ... there is no try only do, and there is no failure only success!

You succeed in making ... something!

You succeed in learning ... something!

I believe the spirit of these things is just to participate and get into the swing of it for fun.

There are usually popup get-togethers around these events, so you can go join in with other people for the experience, as well. Look into these for getting to know other people and cross pollinating ideas.

OboShape

Postby OboShape » 10 Nov 2014, 18:17

well, this kind of took a back seat for a few weeks due to a brief hospital stay.. but

i think ive tallied up about 40 hours or so, give or take. its taking shape gradually. ive written it all down in a document/thoughts/diary type thing. alot of learning along the way, and a good few stumbles where ideas were disregarded as non practical or just going about it from a totally unworkable direction.

things ive had to knuckle down and learn so far (what i can remember that is);

2D raycasting,
LayerMask pros and cons,
multiple 2d box colliders on object and how to differentiate between occured collision.
2D sprite sheets (importing, splicing, and import options)
mechanim for animating sprites.
using state machine for animation playback.
animation events.
Singleton classes for persistent game manager script, and repository for global reset parameters.

problems that had to be overcome and implemented
collision detection: box colliders dont play nice together when used as a tiled platform, and player has a box collider.
ended up having to use raycasting due to 'ghost vertices' when using box colliders as they got stuck at corners alot of the time.
One way platforms,
ended up using two box colliders, one set to trigger to disable the box collider that isnt a trigger.
and setting the physics in the project menu to stop raycasts hitting trigger volumes (that one took me ages to find out)
sinking blocks.
again using trigger volumes, and checking player collider position, playing an animation of the sink, then using an animation event at the end to destroy the block to allow player to fall through..
audio, and how to get the jump sequence to pitch change based on the height from initial jump position until grounded again.

all in all quite a few problems that required solutions, and several attempts and reattempts to try solving from different angles, and quite a few sheets of A4 paper to sketch out probs and ideas :)

still tons to get done, but i must say that working through it, there is sooo much so far that ive had to take on board, learn, understand and implement its been worth it so far..

wee pic of the Work In Progress :)
SoFar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.